It's been an exciting summer! As you recall, we launched a pledge drive in June to protect Lincoln from threatened budget cuts of historic size - and you stepped up to Keep Lincoln, Lincoln. The pledge drive was a remarkable community effort with 350 friends of Lincoln committing $456,000 in pledges ranging from $25 to $10,000.
Pledge Drive Funding
- In June, we anticipated the worst case scenario and wrote: "This leaves $686,000 needed in one-time emergency funds in addition to the traditional $125,000 target for our fall annual Phon-a-thon-$811,000 is needed to Keep Lincoln, Lincoln."
- Fortunately, the city avoided the worst case scenario and the press optimistically reported that CPS schools would receive student-based budgets similar to last year. However, when the details were delivered Lincoln's budget was effectively reduced by about $100 per student, leaving an $85,000 gap versus last year.
- To close the gap and eliminate the need for the Fall Phon-a-thon, we are asking every family that participated in the pledge drive to fund 35% of their pledge amount. For example, if you pledged $1000, we are requesting that you pay $350. If you were unable to make a pledge in June, you may still make a donation at this time.
- For many families, 35% of your pledge drive commitment will be less than what you normally contribute to the Phon-a-thon, so please consider being as generous as you have been in the past.
- Please use FOL's PayPal account (go to www.lincolnelementary.org and click on "Donate Now") or mail/deliver a check to the school's main office by August 30th. If you are unsure of your pledge amount, please send a note to email@example.com. Your donation is tax-deductible and don't forget to ask your employer for a company match.
FOL Outlook for the Year
- Earlier this month, FOL approved a request from Mr. Armendariz and the LSC to contribute $490K to Lincoln for the 2016-2017 school year, an increase of 20% from the last few years.
- At this level, FOL will fund 3.5 full time teacher positions to maintain reduced class sizes and Lincoln "specials" will remain strong: all K-8 students are expected to receive at least one hour of French and one hour of Art per week, and all K-7 students will participate in Lincoln's outstanding music program (band will continue to be offered to all students in grades 5-8).
- FOL will fund its commitment from FOL reserves, pledge drive payments, and normal fundraising from the Winter Auction and Spring Fun Run. Please continue to participate in these important Lincoln community-building and fundraising traditions.
With your generous support, Lincoln can open the 2016-2017 school year with the financial strength and community support necessary to Keep Lincoln, Lincoln. Thank you!