Earlier this week you received a letter detailing our District's contingency plans in the event of a strike by the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU). I join with CPS leadership and many others in the belief that a strike can be avoided through continued negotiations, but know each of you have real concerns about what happens should a strike occur.
What You Should Know:
We encourage you to keep your student(s) at home or at a non-CPS facility during the strike. CTU leadership has issued a 10-day strike notice. With this action, a strike could begin as early as Tuesday (October 11). In the event of a strike:
- All classes and extracurricular activities will be cancelled.
- We encourage you to keep your student(s) at home or at a non-CPS facility during the strike.
- School will not be in session, and no attendance penalties will be incurred.
- For those families who do not have that option, school buildings will remain open for their normal bell schedules, led by myself and our non-CTU staff members. Additionally, Chicago Park District and Chicago Public Library sites will also be available to students.
- To find the most convenient site for your family, visit cps.edu/strikeplan or call 311. Using the map you can find your site options, as well as register your student(s) if they plan to attend.
- Food service will be provided at each site, as will activities to keep students safe and engaged.
- CPS buses will NOT be operating, but the CTA will provide free transportation to students from 5:30a.m. to 8:30p.m.
Where Can I Find More Information?
For contingency site locations, hours of operation, and frequently asked questions, visitcps.edu/strikeplan or call 311.
We may not know whether there will be a strike until the end of the weekend, but I will continue to provide updates via email as they occur. I encourage you to look for emails to make sure have the most accurate information about our District's status.
I know this time is a challenging one for our entire school community, and I thank you for your patience and support as we make certain we're prepared.